I wanted to call them Homemade Hot Pockets — Raymond poo poo’d that recipe name. 😉
We made this awesome recipe earlier in the week and ate on it for several days. My favorite type of dish is one that allows us to enjoy a few dinners and a lunch.
I also made a crockpot pot roast. Definitely not as good as I had hoped. I will keep tweaking that recipe. 🙂
In the morning you will:
Step 1: Break out the trusty Crockpot.
Spray the Crockpot with non-stick spray. Add 3 frozen chicken breasts, 1 TSBP lemon-pepper seasoning, and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Let the chicken slowly cook for 5-6 hours.
Step 2: Lay out your dinner rolls so they can thaw during the day. Our bag of yeast exploded (oops), so I would recommend laying on a cookie sheet and covering with a damp tea towel.
In the evening:
Step 3: Time to make dinner! Chop up one onion, 4 oz of mushrooms, 2 roasted sweet red peppers, 2 garlic cloves, and the cooked chicken.
Melt 1 TSP butter and saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Once those are tender, add the roasted peppers, chicken, and 2 TBSP honey mustard dressing, 1/4 TSP each S&P, lemon pepper seasoning, and 1/2 TSP italian seasonings. Heat through and remove to a bowl.
Add 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and stir to combine.
Step 4: Roll out each dinner roll and fill with chicken mixture. Since our bag of rolls turned into a bag of yeasty dough — we made larger than life hot pockets. The size is up to you. I would recommend smaller “rounds” or “pockets” if you have kids.
Press the dough together to form a seal. You can always press with a fork (similar to making an apple turnover).
Step 5: Brush tops with melted butter, sprinkle with S&P and bake at 350º for 18 minutes or until golden brown.
Now for the recipe:
AMERICANO CHICKEN POCKETS
- 3 chicken breasts, frozen
- 1 TBSP lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 TSP butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 roasted sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 TBSP honey mustard
- 1/4 TSP each S&P
- 1/4 TSP lemon pepper
- 1/2 TSP italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 24 frozen dinner rolls, thawed
- 1 TSP butter, melted
- In the morning, spray the Crockpot with non-stick spray. Add chicken, lemon pepper seasoning, and chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Also in the morning, lay out the dinner rolls to thaw.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the chicken, peppers, honey mustard and seasonings; heat through.
- Remove from heat to a mixing bowl.
- Add cheese.
- Flatten each dinner roll into a 5″ circle.
- Place 1 TBSP (give or take) of the chicken mixture in the center of the circle.
- Brush edges with water and press to create a seal.
- Repeat with remaining bread and chicken.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, brush tops with melted butter.
- Bake at 350º for 18-22 minutes until golden brown.
- Cut in half to serve.
Serve with tomato soup (we prefer Trader Joe’s Organize Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup), and a spinach side salad. Raymond is still talking about this dinner and we had it on Tuesday! 😉
Enjoy! Until next time…