I have knocked it out of the ballpark this week with recipes. First was my lasagna, then my Crock Pot BBQ (beef), then my veggie pizza. I’m sure the Crock Pot BBQ will end up on the blog next week. 😉
So let’s talk about this lasagna shall we. I have never made a true lasagna before. It looked hard and I’m not that great at making Italian food. I’m great at Mexican and American, not so great at Italian.
I wasn’t ready to give up on the recipe, so I thought I would get creative with the ingredients. I like the idea of lasagna rolls but they were a huge pain to put together with the rolling and stuffing and baking. I like easy.
I tried something new this week and it turned out great! I hope you enjoy!
HEART HEALTHY LASAGNA
- 1 LB Lean Ground Beef
- I prefer 96/4
- 2 TBSP Italian Seasoning
- 1 Jar Puttanesca Sauce (reserve some for the top, about 1/4 cup)
- My favorite is from Trader Joe’s
- Any jar marinara style sauce would work, pick your favorite
- Lasagna Noodles
- I used half a box. How many you need will depend on the size of your dish.
- My dish was 9″ x 9″
- 5 OZ Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed and completely drained
- 15 OZ Ricotta Cheese (low fat, NOT fat free)
- 1/2 CUP Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 TSP Dried Oregano
- 1/2 TSP Garlic Powder (optional)
- 9 TBSP Mozzarella Cheese, part skim
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large skillet, saute ground beef until no longer pink.
- Season meat with italian seasoning, S&P.
- Drain meat, and transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Add Puttanesca (or marinara) sauce to meat and stir until combined.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- Once cooked, drain. Allow them to dry on paper towels.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, egg, parmesan cheese, oregano, garlic powder, and S&P.
- In a baking dish, layer lasagna noodles on bottom of dish, then ricotta mixture, then meat mixture, and repeat.
- Once you have layered to the top, end with a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Top noodles with 1/4 cup Puttanesca Sauce (or marinara).
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake additional 10 minutes.
- Vegetarian: You could eliminate the meat and make this a vegetarian lasagna.
- Bulk it up with more veggies: I plan to add more veggies to the mix next time. Onions with the beef. Zucchini or eggplant with the ricotta mixture.
- Side dishes: large garden salad, roasted veggies (asparagus, broccoli), and garlic bread.
- Make ahead: You can assemble this ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Enjoy! This was a MAJOR hit in our house; so much so that it was gone by lunch the next day. Next time I will make double and freeze.
Until next time…