I love tacos, but we tend to eat the traditional Mexican versions.
I ran across a recipe a few weeks ago that peaked my interest. I decided to change it up a little and came up with the following. Pretty darn good if I say so myself. 🙂
Very light and flavorful. Perfect for a summertime dinner.
Start with a simple marinade. My opinion? The longer it marinates the better!
Use the juice from fancy chunks pineapple in the marinade. Use the pineapples in the chicken mixture.
Use salsa verde in the marinade and as a garnish on the tacos. We tried the Trader Joes Salsa Verde ($1.99) version and liked it a lot!
Grill the chicken, onions, and pineapple to make the taco mixture! Having a grill would make this a lot easier. I had to make two batches on the cast iron grill skillet.
CARIBBEAN CHICKEN TACOS
- 1 lb chicken breasts or tenders (thawed)
- 1 TSP Cholula (Chili Garlic)
- 1 TSP oil
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- 1/2 TSP cumin
- 1/2 TSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP salsa verde
- 1 TSP adobo sauce
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (chopped)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- Small container of fancy cut pineapples will work (juice only)
- Place all ingredients in resealable Ziploc bag.
- Marinate for 2-3 hours or while at work.
- Fancy cut pineapple chunks in juice (small container)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Heat grill or cast iron skillet.
- Grill chicken 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- Brush onion and pineapple with oil.
- Grill 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat. Coarsely chop chicken, pineapple, and onion together.
Serve with warmed corn tortillas, chopped cilantro, salsa verde, limes, and chopped lettuce.
We tried flour tortillas and I think corn would have been better suited, and I’m not a big fan of corn tortillas usually. This flavor combo needs something other than flour.
NOTE: I added mushrooms to our dish. It isn’t necessary, we just had it available. 🙂
What have you made recently?
Until next time…